Friday, September 7, 2007

DAY 5 - DESTINATION - HUNTINGDON, PA

Miles: 79.2 - Total Miles: 319.0 - Total ascent: 11,001 ft.
What a day! Just arrived at the Comfort Inn. Woke up early and had a great ride. Had two fillet-o-fish sandwiches for lunch in Lewistown. Met some really nice ladies working at the mini-mart in Mt. Union. They offered me a "short-cut" to avoid a major hill climb and it worked like a champ. "Thank you ladies!"
If you ever happen to find yourself Huntingdon, Pennsylvania you MUST eat at The Original Italian Pizza (814) 643-5520. I had the best Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo in the world. I wondered if it was just because I was so exhausted that cat food would have tasted good - but no, this was excellent! I had it delivered to my room along with a huge, fresh loaf of warm bread, a salad with black and green olives, mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, banana peppers, and creamy Italian dressing that was to die for! And of course, I washed it down with the largest Mountain Dew known to man...
Which reminds me; Today was my fifth day on the road, and each day I drink at least 4-6 bottles of water (not soda) and two Gatorades. Not once have I had to use the restroom prior to arriving at my hotel, around 7:00 pm'ish. Does this sound odd to anyone? Or am I simply sweating off all of the fluids before they reach my bladder?

9 comments:

Holly said...

Oooooh, I'm the first to see and post on this one! YEAH! :) Oh MAN - had I been drinking ANYTHING while reading this, it would have come straight out of my nose! Uh, I DON'T think that's normal as far as the "no peeing" goes - but then again, how many people "normally" go trekking on a bike for a month and a half straight? I think you can cut your bladder some slack (and give your sweat glands a nice pat for all their good work!) You are the MAN for doing this - and those dress rehearsal sun-burns - Yikes! But glad you found some room for sunscreen! Keep it up! You're doing it one mile, one day, and one state at a time - keep up the awesome work and you'll be in SoCal before you know it!

Tracy said...

I am laughing, cause I know you spent some time arranging that food to look just right for the picture - you done good honey! I love when you call me to tell me you made it to the hotel. That makes me SO happy! Tomorrow the kids will mark off the day that means you have been gone for one week. Wow. Only six more to go. Gosh, six more? We can do it! Go Daddy, Go!!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, Go Chip Go!
You always hear people saying, "Somebody should......" or "Somebody ought to ....." usually while they are complaining.

Chip, you realize that YOU are somebody and you get out there and do something about things that you see need some attention. I think you will help a lot of us see that we are all somebodies too and can do more than we do.

Love ya,
Faye

Anonymous said...

Yo Chip, looking at the picture of you by your bike in front of the pillar reminds me of the "pillar" of a man you are, just a little shorter! :)

I think the "no Peeing" may have something to do with your pants being to tight when you're bent over. Oh well, it's the best I could come with, hope it helps. Our prayers for your safety continue...........Gramps

Anonymous said...

Hi Chip,
Glad your trip is going well. I see that your route is changing a bit. Will you not be near enough to Chardon for Grandpa Roberts and the others to see you?
When you are in Richmond, Indiana you will be very close to Jenny - she is in graduate school at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. I've given her your cell phone number (got it from your mom) so maybe she'll call you.
Take care!

Anonymous said...

Hi Chip ~
Sounds like you're doing pretty good. Keep it up. I'm over at mom's house and we're checking out your blog right now. Amazing and very impressive! We're wondering though, what do you mean by "total assent" where you currently have listed 11,000(ish) feet? We realize ASCENT means altitude but know you couldn't possibly be THAT high up in PA. so we were just curious as to what that means. That fettucine chiken alfredo looks divino, I bet you really enjoyed that after a long day, huh? Please know that you are in our thoughts constantly and we're wishing you smooth sailing.

xoxo,
Carrie & Mom

Jody said...

This is so great! I want EVERYONE to read about it!

Anonymous said...

Okay, okay...I know what ascent is. I thought "assent" was some high tech biking term that we just didn't know about so I was curious. Must be REALLY tough riding cross country against the wind like that, not to mention going up hill a lot of the time too. CRAZY.

Chip said...

Holly,
You are fantastic! You made me laugh. Thank you for your support.

Tracy,
The highlight of each day is calling you from the hotel.

Faye,
You are too kind.

Ken,
Thanks for the analysis!

Aunt Annie,
Yes, the route did change quite a bit. Going up to northern Ohio has become too difficult with time and PA terrain. Would love to hear from Jenny.

Carrie,
Glad to hear you figured it out. "Total Ascent" is an accumulation of the days climbing. Ex: 100 ft. up and 300 ft. down = a 100 ft. ascent. So at that given point of the trip I had climbed a total of 11,000 ft.

Jody,
Thank you! Let's keep spreading the word.