Saturday, September 29, 2007

DAY 27 - DESTINATION - DODGE CITY, KS

Miles: 87.o - Total Miles: 1,784 - Total Ascent: 49,429 ft.
The hotel I was at last night, in Great Bend, was by far the worst so far - just a dirty place. The bathtub did not drain well...at all. For those of you that know me, you can imagine my displeasure standing in an unfamiliar bathtub, with grime and water up to my shins - yuck!
.
It only got worse. Today was, by far, the most difficult day of riding. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it ended up being THE WORST! Did I say yesterday was flat? Silly me, it looks like I spoke too soon. Because today I saw flat, flat, flat! Now, how about wind? Did I mention that it is windy in Kansas? At dinner tonight, I read on the menu that Dodge City is the windiest City in the country. Allow me to testify....
.
As I was leaving my hotel room this morning, I heard on the Weather Channel that the winds would be 25 - 30 miles an hour; with gusts blowing at 40 - 50 miles an hour! Can you imagine that? I'm not so sure you can. What should have been a 7 hour ride, ended up taking 8 hours...to the half way point! At times, I was riding between 3 - 5 miles per hour. Shortly into the ride I noticed a dust storm up ahead. My options were limited to turning around and going back, or carrying on and going through it. So, upward and onward I went.
.
I came across a group of American Legion motorcyclists. They indicated that they were having a picnic nearby, but that their annual "ride" had been canceled...because it was too windy for those big harley's to stay on the road. So, where did that leave me? On the ground. That's right, while pedaling along, with no cars in sight, the wind (literally) blew me off of my bike. One moment I am standing up, looking down, pedaling with all of my might; and the next moment me, my bike, and my trailer are laying in the grass alongside the road. What's worse, is that this happened 3 times! One time, as I was picking myself up off the ground, I felt a pain in my ear. When I felt it, the ear-bud of my iPod was still in my ear (under my headband), but the wire had been ripped off. When I would notice an 18 wheeler coming, I would literally stop, spread my legs for stability, put my head down on my handlebars, and hold on. Needless to say...it's windy!
.
Once I arrived at the half-way point, or just beyond it, I realized that if I were to continue along, I would reach Dodge City somewhere around midnight (if I survived). Again, those of you that know me, know that "I can't" is not allowed. After all, whether you think you can, or cannot, you're right, right? Which also brought to my mind something that a wise man once told me, "It's easy to be hard; but it's hard to be smart." That being said, my number one obligation is to my wife and children. The support that I receive from them definitely warrants common sense decisions in return.
.
So, at a gas station in Kinsley, as the sun was getting lower in the sky and the winds continued to blow, I attempted to hitch a ride 37 miles to Dodge City. I waited to find, what I thought was, the right person. Up pulled a pickup truck with a man and lady inside. After the man got out (wearing boots, wranglers, hat, belt buckle, the whole nine yards) and walked towards me, I approached him with one of my cards, explained why I was out here, and asked if I could give him $20 for a ride into Dodge City. He said that I would have to wait a moment as he would have to check with his wife. I watched him get back in his truck, share my card with his wife, and simply drive away. Blast! After waiting nearly 30 minutes for another pickup truck, I began to grow impatient. Two Mexicans pulled up with some construction equipment in the back of their truck. They appeared to be hard working laborers. I explained myself to the one, who translated to the other, and they agreed. Relieved, but apprehensive as well, I loaded my bike and trailer into their truck bed, and got in their truck and off we went...to "get into Dodge."
.
I told them they could just drop me off at the city limits. But they said they would take me right to my hotel. I have to admit that as I listened to them communicate in Spanish with one another, as well as on their cell phones, my apprehensions grew. I made a conscious decision to keep my small tote-bag, with my survival knife, in my lap and also said a prayer. Moments later we arrived, in one piece, at the Dodge City Holiday Inn. After unloading, I handed the driver $20 and they both refused to take it. I even insisted, but they said they were just glad to help. How foolish I felt, and how thankful I am to Edgar and Beto. Thank you guys!
.
.
At dinner tonight, my waitress was so impressed with my journey, that she asked for my autograph! What made it funny, was the only thing she had for me to sign, was the back side of a photograph of her and her husband! How funny is that?
.
The solo portion of my journey ended today. If my right leg is going to survive the second half of this ride, then it is going to require a support vehicle to carry some of the load. My dad arrived tonight, and will drive along for all of week five. As the winds continue to blow, I'll be able to use his truck as a shield. Thanks Dad, for coming out here. What a day!
.
"I CAN!"





11 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH chip! I am so sorry about your ride. Those winds actually have been know to blow trucks off the road. In your picture you look a bit wind burned. It is days like this that make you dig even deeper than you would think possible to find the physical, mental and emotional strength needed to continue. I think of the soldiers right now who are digging deep...who haven't had a shower in days...who have been eating MRE's since who knows when, and don't have an end in sight. I believe that one finds oneself in the depth of those times. I know that you are doing just that. We love you and know that YOU CAN!!! Be safe and be strong...remember who you are!!!

Love Lisa and family

Anonymous said...

Chip, You made the right call! It would, as you obviously know better than anybody, have been dangerous to be out in that wind after dark.
There are great people everywhere. They come in all different shapes, sizes and colors. I am glad you have come across so many of them on your trip.

Enjoy your day of rest with your dad.

Semper Fi,

Dave

Anonymous said...

Chip, You know I'm not much of a blogger - I prefer to keep in touch by phone. I've called you and left a few messages but I know you're busy and having some phone problems. Give me a call when you get a chance. I hope all is well with your tendonitis, Achilles' tendon, et al. Be careful and stay safe.

Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Geez Chip. Haven't you seen "The Wizard of Oz"? Of course it's windy in Kansas.

Wow! What an experience. How nice it is for all of us that there are Edgars and Betos in the world. And Chip Schultzs in the world too.

Keep on chippin' away!

Love,
Faye

Jody said...

Thank you for taking on this challenge. Thank you for raising awareness for the children who could be forgotten. Thank you for suffering through extreme knee pain. Thank you for continuing with tendenitis. Thank you for getting blown off your bike three times today! Thank you for being wise enough to accept help. Thank you for all you are doing! I really don't think any of us could thank you enough for enduring days like today in order to benifit the lives of others.

Anonymous said...

So glad you let wisdom be the better part of valor, I know you did the right thing. Tomorrow when you're on the "flats" again, picture in your mind those wonderful photos from space that definitely show the earth is round and there has to be some kind of an arch where you are, and remember you're on the downward side of the trip, heading home!!

Rest up the best you can so the next few days go by better for you. Keep on Keeping on.....YOU CAN, YOU WILL!

Ken (Gramps)

The Langfords said...

Hi Chip! Mike has a suggestion for those strong winds--how about some really good training wheels? :) Tyler would also like you to be the merit badge counselor for cycling. :) We are so proud of you! We are in total awe of your accomplishments. You can do it! We are praying for you! Love the Langfords

David said...

Chip,
I love the 'blown of the bike' story. I can only imaging how hard it must be sometimes to work thru the pain of a cross country bike ride, but all of your blog postings are pure Chip; filled with a real sense of purpose and brimming with enthusiasm. Your CAN DO attitude is quite contageous. What a treat is is for us to read your journal and follow your progress. You will have an amazing story to tell. Carry on my friend.
David Lindsay

Anonymous said...

Chip ~

Sorry, but the OLDER sister in me can't help but ask...you ARE wearing sunscreen every day aren't you? Your nose looks SO red in that picture of you with that waitress.

Carrie

Anonymous said...

Just a waitress in Dodge City, KS
Chip, I admire people like you, doing good things for other people. When I got home after I served you and your Dad, I told my husband and my kids all about you and all these famous and extraordinary people that I get to serve at CASEY'S COWTOWN. I am just a lucky waitress :) you keep doin what your heart tells you.
Nicanora and family

Chip said...

Lisa,
You are right. Thanks for the support!

Dave,
Thanks to you, wise man!

Mom,
That wasn't that hard, was it?

Faye,
It's been so long, I had to ask Tracy about the "wind" in the W.of.Oz.

Jody,
You're welcome. (Wow!)

Ken,
Yes, I WILL! Thanks.

Langfords,
You guys are great! Miss you all. Training wheels are one option; sorry Tyler - no more cycling for a while. ha!ha!

David,
There you are! That was nice, thanks.

Carrie,
On MOST days. That was just the camera!

Nicanora,
Thank you! I am so glad you commented. Please visit, and comment often. I would love to hear from you throughout this journey. You were a fantastic waitress!!!