Monday, September 24, 2007

DAY 22 - DESTINATION - ST. JOSEPH, MO

Miles: 73.0 - Total Miles: 1,386 - Total Ascent: 39,518 ft.
Another great day! Missouri sure turned out to be my favorite state, so far. Same navigation as the last couple of days, straight west on Hwy 36. One thing that sets Missouri apart from the rest of the trip is the roadkill. Since the beginning (back in New Jersey) the variety of roadkill has consistently been deer, raccoon, opossum, cats, and occasionally birds. However, right when I crossed the Mississippi River into Missouri, the variety has been limited to snakes and frogs. Many snakes. Fat, black ones. Anywhere from probably 2 - 4 feet long, yikes! And then the frogs - oh how I hope Erin Kailiponi is reading this! The frogs in Missouri, first of all, are definitely classified as road kill. These are are the biggest, fattest frogs you have ever seen. I actually had to steer around a dead frog simply because I didn't want to wreck if I hit it. Looking at my laptop computer, I'd say that some of these frogs are bigger than the length AND width of my laptop! Imagine that Erin: frogs, huge frogs, big fat juicy dead frogs...by the hundreds - ugh!!!
.
At lunch today, I was approached by a friendly couple, Jim and Kathy Dome. They, originally from Denver, Colorado, sold all of their possessions and now live out of an RV traveling the country. When I saw them, they were on their way to Atlanta, Georgia. As they approached, Jim asked where I was riding from (you would be amazed at how much attention one attracts by pulling a trailer with a bicycle through the middle of nowhere). When I told him New York City, he seemed quite thrilled. In my traditional fashion, I handed him one of my cards and invited him to visit my web site. But, while opening his wallet, Jim asked if I would accept a cash donation. Of course I said, "Yes!" and thanked him sincerely. Then we parted ways...until I was in line at Wendy's and heard a strange voice say, "Hey Chip, come on up here, I'm going to buy your lunch!" Apparently Jim wasn't finished being generous. So, to Jim and Kathy Dome, whom I met in Cameron, Missouri, thank you for you support, your kindness, and your generosity.
.
Tomorrow's forecast calls for rain and thunderstorms, from here to my destination of Topeka, Kansas - how much fun will that be?
.
"I CAN!"

7 comments:

Tracy said...

I am so appreciative of people like Jim and Kathy Dome, and so many others along your journey who have helped you and encouraged you. I love the teenage boy you told me about today who told you he has a truck and will gladly give you a ride to your next stop. How sweet. :)I am especially grateful for the people who already know and love you and support you by following your journey and especially take the time to say hello on your blog, encourage you, and comment along the way. I can only imagine how lonely it must feel at times and how great it is to settle down at night with the comforting comments from friends and family. Thank you everybody! Chip - it finally feels like this is going to end some day. :) Each day, it finally feels like I really am one day closer to seeing you. I think you are the most fantastic person I know! How did I ever get so darn lucky?! Love you.

Yeargain/Gropp's said...

Chip,

It is so inspiring to read this blog and realize how much progress you make everyday. It is also very good to hear that you are making it through your journey on the same health food you survivied on here in Boise (Wendy's). YOU CAN & WILL.

Brian

Anonymous said...

Chip, I can't believe that you only have 25 more days until you have realized one of your dreams. You are inspiring me to set my own goals and dreams and just keep "chipping" away until they are realized as well. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for being YOU....YOU CAN!!!

Columbia Village Gropps said...

Hi Chip!
So I'm looking at my computer screen and can't imagine a frog being that BIG! Are you exagerating a bit?
Be careful going through those thunderstorms - hope you have some rain gear.:)
You are inspiring people all along your way, people that come in contact with you and people that keep track of you on the blog. So in the words of Dory from Finding Nemo, "Just keep swimming(pedaling), swimming(pedaling), swimming(pedaling)". Each day you arrive at a new hotel and new city is a victory!
Nikki

Anonymous said...

Chip-
That sounds fun that you're coming in to some weather. That's not a metal flag pole you're towing behind you is it? Lightning loves metal so watch it!
I'm still hoping to meet you in Santa Fe for the day...still keeping an eye on our weather in Colorado. Like I said to you earlier, for the last 2 years we have had our first blizzards around the first couple weeks of October, so I'll have to wait unitl it gets closer to know for sure.
Keep up the good work. Go Angels!
-Rob

Jody said...

You certainly can't have a weak stomach when doing a ride like this! I am having a little trouble just reading about the road kill!

For some reason while reading your blog today I realized even when you talk about having a good day, you are still working REALLY hard! You inspire me to be a better person, a better mother, a better friend, just better. I can be better because of everything your doing. Thanks for making me better.

Love ya!

Chip said...

Tracy,
How can I respond to that? You are simply great. Thanks for your support!

Brian,
If I can get my hands on it, I'll eat it...simple as that.

Lisa,
Wow, thanks!

Niki,
Check - I've got rain gear. And, NO EXAGERATION! That thing was nearly a foot and a half long, a foot wide, and easily stuck up six inches off the pavement...I kid you not!

Rob,
Thanks, hope it works out!

Jody,
Love you too!