Thursday, September 13, 2007

DAY 11 - DESTINATION - MARYSVILLE, OH

Miles: 97.6 - Total miles: 676.9 - Total Ascent: 26,218
Today started early. Began riding at 7:22 am. Quite uneventful though, as I needed a good long day of riding in order to make it to Marysville, same plan for tomorrow.

It seems that I have solved the bladder issue. I have also confirmed that my heart rate monitor is accurately operational. While riding around a quiet country corner early this morning, I realized that I lost my helmet mirror - bummer! I also realized that my pepper spray was no longer on the back of my left hand - big bummer! Here is the bladder/heart rate part: A few minutes later, as I was approaching a questionable looking house on the right...I nearly wet myself. Two large, loud, aggressive, fast, guy-on-a-bike eating dogs bolted off their quiet, shaded porch. My kids are always impressed at how I can identify the make and model of a car, long before it approaches; the same goes for dogs. But I don't have the foggiest idea what kind of dogs these were, let alone what color (I think one was brown). I distinctly recall the "click, click, click" sound of my gears shifting, and the few words that I shouldn't have said, as I began to pedal faster than the speed of light - Wow!!! Oh, and I know my heart rate monitor is working because it went from about 120 bpm to 170 bpm in about 10 seconds. I'm thinking of buying a gun!

I've done a lot of reflecting along this journey about those Extraordinary Heroes that have gone before us. May God bless each and every one of them. And may we all remember what they lived for and what they died for - all gave some, but some gave all.

By days end I was ready to get to a hotel.

"I CAN!"

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh...my...GAWWWWW, I LOVE that picture. It reminds me of growing up in Ohio. Sometimes I try to click on your pictures that you post, Chip, so that I can see them in larger view and it doesn't always let me do it but this one did. I saved it to my pictures and will DEFINITELY be having a print made of this classic barn. It's perfect.

Sorry to hear about the little incident today. I'm wishing you happy trails ahead and Godspeed!

Anonymous said...

I cant help but think of a movie in the 80's called "American Flyers", with Kevin Costner. He and his brother are out riding in the country and they get chased by this big brown dog. Its a cycling movie. Keep on keepin on, Chip.

Bach

Anonymous said...

Was checking to see if you were approaching another milestone - a time zone change, but the map in my atlas was most confusing. I'll check the one I have at work tomorrow. That always lets me know your time and if you've had enough time to make your new post or not.

Yes, you can!

Faye

Anonymous said...

97.6 miles! Looks like this was your longest one day stretch so far, good going son. Sounds like the dogs may have helped with that. I imagine you will have this potential situation most of the way, so get some more pepper spray right away.

Anyway, I'm gald my suggestion about the pants being too tight solved your bladder problem, but I have to admit it was just a guess.

We ALL know you can do this....Just call me Pop (or if you have a Pop call me Ken but I still like Gramps)

Anonymous said...

Your blog is awesome, I make sure to check it each day because it is so interesting and impressive to see how you make it through this journey. I am really proud to call you a friend. Keep going because I do know YOU CAN!!!

Jody said...

Think of it this way, you probably got to your hotel faster than planned, right?

Speaking of hotels, my mother-in-law was asking if you have reservations or at least an idea of what hotel you will be staying at or is it whatever is closest at stopping time?

Also people were asking me if you had a support vehicle and you don't. They said you must because of some of the pictures you had taken of you but I said you probably had just asked a bystander.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your heart rate and bladder problems have been solved but what I'm really bummed about is that you lost your helmet mirror!!! That sucks!! I bet you looked pretty cool with that thing hanging off the side of your helmet. I'm sure it was really helpful in avoiding a crazy driver coming up from behind you and also to block the sun from hitting your left eye for an hour each day. Oh well, the mirror is just a minor casualty in the grand scheme of things. You'll look back one day and smile at the memory of the mirror. I'm smiling already. Love you Chip!! Be safe and keep going. You're almost to the big, flat states!!! It'll be easy riding for a while from there.

Jody said...

Ellen, I'm crackin' up ovah heeah! Sounds like Chip needs some comic relief too!

Unknown said...

Hey Chip
Been following your blog, sounds like your having a great time and seeing some wonderful sites. Be sure to ice that knee at night and try some aleve! ( The nurse in me couldn't resist). You'll be coming up on the Reichle part of the country soon. Make sure you stop at the Missouri River and take a minute. There is nothing quite like it. Praying for your safe trip.

Megan, David and the boys

Topsy said...

Hey Chip,
This website is awesome. When you get home you need to look up a website named BLURB.com. They print books from your blog template and we've had a couple done, they were gorgeous. Plus you can print a 120 page book for around 40 bucks, much cheaper and bigger than the competition.
Nisa

Chip said...

Carrie,
I thought you'ld like that one!

Bach,
Love that movie!

Faye,
Illinois is the next time zone.

Ken,
Check - I have more pepper spray. The "Gramps" thing is confusing people (me included). I understand you like it, but that is what my children call you.

Brian,
Thanks for your support, friend.

Jody,
No reservations, just whatever I roll up to first. No support vehicle yet (I'm going to need one though) just creative photography.

Ellen,
Huh?

Megan,
Ice is good. Yes, there are plenty of great sites. Thanks for your support.

Nisa,
Great idea! Definitely want a book.