Thursday, September 27, 2007

DAY 25 - DESTINATION - McPHERSON, KS

Miles: 63.3 - Total Miles: 1,631 - Total Ascent: 43,082 ft.
Most of you have heard the expression, "Flat as a pancake." In fact, we have probably all said it at one time or another. But after today, I firmly believe that unless you visit Kansas, somewhere west of Abilene, you have no idea what flat really is. Thank goodness the winds weren't that bad, or it could have easily made 60 miles of flat riding seem like 60 miles uphill. In it's own way, Kansas is actually beautiful - just a lot of beautiful nothing.
.
.
I stopped for lunch today in Salina (Sal-eye-na), at a quaint little burger place called "Bogey's." (not pizza!) The food was good, but the milkshakes were GREAT! I was so impressed that I walked back out to my bike and got my camera, just so I could take a picture of the menu that showed the 88 flavors of shakes that you could choose from! I ordered a rootbeer shake, and it was awesome.
.
As for the tendinitis - more ibuprofen, more ice. I actually felt a burning sensation today that was pretty uncomfortable. Ironically though, the moment I stop pedaling, the pain goes away. But this too shall pass.
.
I spoke with my daughter Taylor tonight. How great it was to hear her voice. Just to hear about the basic stuff that's going on in her life made me really miss her. And also it made me remember that much greater sacrifices are being made by dads for up to 15 months at a time, while not on a bikeride, but while wearing the uniform of a United States Military man, and while serving in harms way. I miss Taylor, Aubrey, Hannah, Jack, and my wife, Tracy very much. October 20th will be even closer in the morning.
.
"I CAN!"
.
.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Chip, I gotta ask this question because it is killing me, Why in the world would anyone in their right mind, after peddling 1631 miles alone on a bike in the middle of nowhere, with a bum knee and a pain full tendon chose a Rootbeer shake out of 88 flavors? Everyone knows you can have 546 flavors but there is only one that is any good.......chocolate. Good Grief what a waste of money.

Hope everything holds up for you, we're pulling for you, praying for you and telling everyone we come into contact with to check the web site out. Keep on keeping on, son we all know you can do this. One mile, one city, one state at a time. You are the MAN!

Ken (Gramps)

Tracy said...

Hi honey. Today, Hannah packed a "going to California" bag. Aubrey said you called her classroom again, she loves that. Jackson is going on a field trip to the fire station tomorrow. He put his penny collection in an envelope and asked me to send it to you for your trip.
Taylor's "high" today was talking to you. There are lots of X's on our calendar now.

We miss you so much.

Yeargain/Gropp's said...

Chip,

At the BSU game last night when the jets flew over at the end of the national antheim my thoughts turned to your trek and all the men and women you are doing this for. It hits home when you realize the sacrifice that all of this represents. Keep it up we are all behind you. YOU CAN and WILL.

Brian

Anonymous said...

Good Morning, Chip! I wake up each day and read your comments. It is so uplifting to read about each of your adventures! We are looking forward to having you stay overnight when you hit Indio, California! WE KNOW YOU CAN DO IT! Best regards from Ann Hermanson(John Hermanson's Mom)

Anonymous said...

More than half way! Do you feel like you're going down hill now?Four weeks down, three weeks to go. Wow! Kind of like reading a good book. As you get closer and closer to the end the slower you read because you want to savor and enjoy as much as you can. Don't you dare slow down, that's not what I meant. For those of us on your journey with you though, we want to keep on reading, knowing that it will end very very soon now. People take your card with almost a reverence when I explain it to them. It's been quite an experience. What it must be like for you! Double Wow!
Love,
Faye

Chip said...

Ken,
Chocolate, Shmocolate!

Tracy,
Thanks, I love the updates, and I miss you too.

Brian,
Wow, good for you!

Ann,
I can't wait, thanks!

Faye,
My, my, thankyou so much.