Saturday, September 15, 2007

DAY 13 - DESTINATION - INDIANAPOLIS, IN

Miles: 60.5 - Total miles: 831.2 - Total Ascent: 29,029 ft.
I think I discovered why I was bothered by dogs in Ohio...to prepare me for Indiana. I was chased a number of times today. So much that I finally resorted to stopping and parking my bike/trailer at a small, quaint cemetery (when you're in the middle of nowhere, finding a place to park the bike/trailer can be quite a task). I walked about 200 feet to find a branch that would suffice as a dog-club. Now, with this branch mounted on my handlebars, I am ready for battle.
.
As I entered a small intersection in Losantville (lou-saint-ville), I noticed a police car stopped with it's lights flashing. I also noticed people standing on both sides of the street. I was certain there had been some sort of accident. What I came to find was that it was the cheerleading squad from Union High School in nearby Modoc, IN. They were simply stopping all of the cars and soliciting donations for their cheerleading fundraiser...with the help of police. Ah, the joys of living in a small town! So I told them my name, explained my mission, became a proud donor to the U.H.S. cheerleading squad, and headed into the corner gas station to find some lunch - homemade chicken salad sandwich, yum! Perhaps what became one of the highlights of my journey so far was that four of these girls (who had heard about me on the local news) followed me into the store to ask for...my autograph! Is that cute or what? I ended up getting my picture taken with them and even decided to interview them for my video journal. Another lifelong memory - thank you girls, I hope you continue to follow my journey.
.
Many of you know of our good friends in Anaheim, CA - the Denkers. Dan called to inform me that his brother Steve and his family live near Indianapolis in a town called Fishers. So when I arrived at a gas station near Fishers, Steve Denkers came to pick me up and invited me to stay at his house for tonight and tomorrow night (2nd rest day). They took me out to dinner at an all-you-can-eat pizza place. I am so thankful for the great friends that I have made in this life.

4 comments:

Beth said...

You ARE famous! And I know your family! Well!

Tracy said...

Those cheerleaders would be so happy to know that the picture of them was on our local news! You are having such neat experiences Chip - I still can't believe I married such an incredible person! Love you.

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness!~!!! Chip it was so great meeting you! all of us had a great time!! we cant believe that we were on the news!! how amazing is that! we are just so excited and you will always be in our thoughts and in our prayers. We hope that your journey takes you far and that you make everyday better than the last. good luck in all that you do! we''' continue to check on you! God Bless!!

love,
The Union Highschool Cheerleaders.

Dana,
Alyssa,
Natalia, and
Sami

Chip said...

Beth,
There you are! I was hoping to hear from you.

Tracy,
They were great! There's something else we have in common.

Union High School Cheerleaders,
Hi Dana, Alyssa, Natalia, and Sami! I'm so glad you made a comment on the blog. Keep checking in on me. You are a great group of girls - thank you so much!