Friday, September 14, 2007

DAY 12 - DESTINATION - RICHMOND, IN

Miles: 93.8 - Total miles: 770.7 - Total Ascent: 28,087
Today was another early day, as I knew I had a long way to go to Richmond. By the way, I'M IN INDIANA!!! Yes - that felt great! I can't believe that I've already pedaled across New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Ohio.
.
Mostly uneventful (again). Although I chipped my front tooth. I was taking a routine drink of Gatorade, when along came a bump in the road, and - crack! I don't think it's anything noticeable. If you look closely, you can kind-of tell. But, I can feel it, and it's rather bothersome.

My mom's sister had three daughters - a blond, a brunette, and a red-head. I can remember, as a kid, my Aunt Annie and her family. What I do vaguely remember is the youngest, Jenny the red-head, being born. Because this was nearly 24 years ago, I have absolutely no clue what any of the Mantini girls look like. Yesterday, I received an e-mail from my cousin, Jenny. She explained that she is attending her final semester of graduate school, just outside of Richmond. To make a long story short - Jenny came to my hotel in Richmond and we went out to dinner at the Texas Roadhouse - yum! It was really neat getting acquainted with a family member that I would not have met had I not embarked on this journey.

Coming across the Indiana state line was a super feeling of accomplishment. I had to get creative as the cameraman though, I used the timer for this shot! Three states down, eight to go!

"I CAN!"

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Everyone:
I talked to Chip last night and he is about one fourth of the way across America. Needless to say, I am very proud of the task he has undertaken; however, as his Dad, I am a little concerned about him. He is having some difficulty with his right knee. He has tried wearing a knee brace and found that it interferes with his leg movement. I also had problems with my right knee and I still do.

Now, we all know chip; Give Up, is not in his vocabulary. He will make it to Huntington Beach, no matter what.

I am going to take at least one week off to provide vehicle support for him. This will allow a lighter load carried on his trailer. I wish I could get more time off.

If there happens to be anyone out there who has the time to help with vehicle support, it would be greatly appreciated, I know Chip won't ask.

Regardless, I thank all of you for the unwavering support you are giving him. I hope to see and meet all of you in Huntington Beach.

DAD SCHULTZ

Anonymous said...

I would like to add:
If anyone would like to get anything to Chip, please send it to me at the address below and I will take it with me when I meet him. I will leave in about two weeks.

Ron Schultz Sr.
5354 Lindell Road, Unit 1056
Las Vegas, NV 89118

Jody said...

Yea Chip! If I wasn't so tired I would come up with something clever to say about Chip having a chipped tooth. But I can't. I'll leave it to someone else.

Glad things are uneventful! Keep on goin'!!

Anonymous said...

I can't think of anything clever to say about Chip having chipped a tooth either. Nevertheless, I was pleased to hand out one of your cards today to Pam Taylor, wife of Phil Taylor, soccer coach of Tracy. Pam and Phil are Danni Taylor's parents - remember her? I was also at the Wal-Mart in Yorba Linda and could have handed out many by tucking them in car windows that had "appropriate" bumper stickers, decals, etc. We were running an emergency errand that took 20 minutes and needed to take 10 though so I couldn't pause, even for a second, but it did give me a good idea for distributing the cards!
Keep on chippin'! (Meaning chipping away at your journey.)And congratulations on another milestone: a new state!

Faye

Dave said...

Chip, Thanks for taking me along on another great experience. Remember Mt Whitney. "You CAN!!!"

Dave

Roxana said...

Hi Chip:
I check your blog often and it's wonderful to see your progress. I love all your pictures, I've noticed you have different outfits in some of them, are you doing laundry? I can't imagine you have the time. Just wondering, do you stay at a hotel every night? eat out three times a day? I'm sure its getting to be expensive.

To accomplish great things, we must dream as well as act.
Anatole France (1844 - 1924)

Chip said...

Dad,
Thanks.

Jody,
Ha! Ha!

Faye,
Way to go! Keep spreading the word.

Dave,
Anytime. Haven't heard from you in a while.

Roxana,
Yes, I actually wash my clothes in the bathtub. Yes, hotels every night. Love the quote!

Anonymous said...

Okay I will comment on the "chip" ped tooth. No pun intended. My father had a chipped front tooth for years until they could afford to have it fixed. I always loved my Dad's chipped front tooth and missed it once it was fixed.
So... "Chip" wear it as a badge of honor and Tracy enjoy the new (sexy/manly) look and get it fixed if you must.
But, chipping your tooth on a bottle of Gatoraide? Puhlease... it would have been more exciting had you been fending off farm dogs..
Chip we are so proud of you and what you are doing to support the troops and their families! God speed...
Love, Vicky (Grammy)