Monday, October 1, 2007

DAY 29 - DESTINATION - LIBERAL, KS

Miles: 89.6 - Total Miles: 1,873 - Total Ascent: 51,751 ft.
Guess what? IT'S OCTOBER!!! Today was my first day with a support vehicle - the difference was definitely noticeable. I used my dad's truck to carry the weight of my yellow bag (filled with all the gear from my trailer), my red bag (with the heavy items on the handlebars), and most importantly...to block the wind!
.
On my last full day in Kansas, I finally found the "Yellow Brick Road." Our first item on the agenda was "to get out of Dodge"! (I've been waiting to say that - tomorrow I'll have a better one.) Once rolling, I was noticeably faster. In fact, I rode in a completely different gear configuration. For most of the ride, I stayed about 3 - 9 inches off of my dad's back bumper. His tailgate window was open, so we had fairly easy communication as well.
.
We stopped at a little hole in the wall burger place called "Bob's". The food wasn't bad, but I thought it was odd that the bathrooms had a toilet only, no sink! All in all, today went well. Night and day difference between the circus stunts that I was a part of on Saturday.
.
I can't believe I'm only 4 miles away from being out of Kansas. This week should go by pretty fast: Today in Kansas, Tuesday in Oklahoma, Wednesday in Texas, and Thursday in New Mexico. Soon I'll be able to smell the salt water of beautiful Huntington Beach, California.
.
"I CAN!"
.

9 comments:

Roxana said...

Wow! after all this time I get to be the first one to post. Chip I started reading your blog and never imagined the journey I was going to go on. Thanks for all the wonderful adventures. I'm sorry you had such a bad few days this past week and I'm happy you pulled thru. I just want to tell you and Tracy, thank you for welcoming me into your lives and having the pleasure of knowing such a wonderful couple. I'm so glad you were not stubborn and asked for help from my hispanic friends. I'm sure I don't need to say this, but Tracy should be very proud of you, and the fact that family is FIRST.

Anonymous said...

Hi Chip!

You finally say Dorthey and her friends and the Yellow Brick Road. a friend of my from high school (El Dorado High School) she loves the Wizard of OZ. I told her about what you are doing, e-mail your website and also e-mail the two signs you took in Kansas.

I am so glad your dad can be with you on your journey. If you ever wrote a book about this please do a Book signing at Deseret Book in Orange, CA.

You hold a piece of my heart. (and your family too)

your friend always,
Jewels

Anonymous said...

Chip, I can't believe that sand storm how scary. I felt so bad to hear that you fell down THREE times. I'm glad to hear that you got to your hotel ok. That was very nice of Edgar and Beto. Oh and that is so wierd to hear about the restroom with no sink (eeek). Also I want to say I'm glad that Dad is with you helping out with the load. That makes me feel a little better, about your knee and safety. Tell Dad I said Hello, see ya in bit.
love you
Amy

Yeargain/Gropp's said...

Chip,

I am glad to hear that you now have support vehicles, that is a relief to know you are safer and that the rest of the journey will be a little lighter. You are a inspiration to all fighting thru the pain to keep going. Keep it up YOU CAN and WILL.

Brian

Anonymous said...

Hey Chip,

Andrea (Lindquist) and I have been talking about you and this amazing trek. I'm so excited for you and have enjoyed reading about all your interesting adventures. It's like a mini episode of "Survivor" with a limited cast :). Chip and I are so impressed with your commitment and drive for your organization. It takes alot to start and actually complete such a huge undertaking. Not only for you, but also for Tracy with the kids and all that entails. What a great wife!! Keep safe and maybe we'll see you in H.B.

Dana Unfried (Baxter)

Anonymous said...

Like the one gunfighter said to the other one as they were faced off for a duel.....(your dad will appreciate this, he can explain it to you) "there ain't room enough in this town for both of us ......... ................. so Im leaving!"

One mile at a time, one city (pizza place) at a time, one state at a time, YOU CAN!

Keep on keeping on!! Looking forward to seeing you in Surf City!

Ken (Gramps)

Anonymous said...

Cool dude

End of the week you will be in my old stomping grounds. NM if you need any sugestions on places to eat there i've got a ton. Just stay away from south of central ave. not the best neighborhood. Glad to see you got a car for wind drag. Keep it up we are all rooting for ya..

YOU CAN

Hippy Doug

Anonymous said...

SCHULTZ, "YOU ARE ONE WILD AND CRAZY GUY" WHAT AN ADVENTURE YOU HAVE TAKEN ON. I'M SURE KNOWING YOU, THIS IS ONE OF THE MANY MILESTONES THAT YOU WILL ACHIEVE IN YOUR LIFE. WE LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING ABOUT THEM. FROM THE HAYDEN'S TO THE SCHULTZ'S WE WISH YOU ALL THE BEST IN YOUR FAMILY'S EXCITING ADVENTURES.

Topsy said...

Speaking of Texas. . . Brett and I will be moving to Austin in 26 days. So when you get home, well after you have hugged the goodness out of your wife and kiddos, we'd love to see you and say good-bye.