Monday, October 8, 2007

DAY 36 - DESTINATION - ALBUQUERQUE, NM

Miles: 60.2 - Total Miles: 2,325 - Total Ascent: 67,416 ft.
A slow start this morning, or may I say, a COLD start this morning. It was 41 degrees when I left the hotel - burrrr! First we went to the bike shop to pick-up my bike. All went well. They put on a new back wheel, two new tires, gave it a tune-up, and even cleaned the bike. With the drop in temperature, I decided to upgrade some of my cold-weather gear. I bought new socks, shoe covers, a head cover (kind of like a hat, for under your helmet), and a face mask. It was a great bike shop. "Rob & Charlies" is the only Trek dealer in Albuquerque, so I felt pretty comfortable. Plus they gave me 25% off everything - not bad!
.
Once we were rolling, the day went great. I rode half the day on I-25 and used an alternate route for the rest. I rode through some pretty authentic New Mexican neighborhoods. Amazing architecture and culture once you're off the main drag.
.
It just so happens that the largest Hot Air Balloon Festival in the WORLD takes place this week, here in Albuquerque. Apparently every single hotel room, in all the surrounding towns, is sold out...all week long! Another stroke of luck perhaps, but I was able to get a room in Las Vegas, Santa Fe, here in Albuquerque, tomorrow in Grants, and then in Gallup - thank goodness! Tomorrow morning is what they call the "Mass Ascension." 300 hot air balloons simultaneously lift off together. If we can get up early enough, we will try watch this amazing spectacle.
.
Starting tomorrow I will be riding along I-40 all the way to Flagstaff, Arizona...wha-hoo!!!
.
"I CAN!"
.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI There Chip!!!
It has been amazing reading along with your adventures. I hope you are taking very detailed notes so that someday you can tell your grandkids about the times that you had when you rode your bike from "sea to shining sea"! Mario and I pray for you daily and put your name in at the Temple weekly. You are doing a wonderful thing. Hang in there!
YOU CAN, AND WILL!
Janet & Mario

Anonymous said...

Hi Chip,
I haven't commented for about a week, but I did want you to know that all of us here in the Mantini household are still with you. We all crowd around the computer in the morning to see your new post. You are still, of course, in our prayers. Stay safe. Wish we could be in CA for your big finish. What a celebration that will be!
Lots of love, Aunt Annie

Anonymous said...

The balloons are way cool if you got up early enough to see them. Watch for traffic the chase crews have the right of way to everyone. You're almost there, talk to ya later.

Hippy Doug

Anonymous said...

Hey there Chip!
I was so happy to hear you found the alternate road (we're the family you ran into at Taco Bell). My parents wanted me to be sure and look up your web site so that they would know how to make a donation. My dad served in the Army and supports your mission. Anyway, add us to your list of supporters. God bless you. Keep warm!!!
Donna

Anonymous said...

Hmmm....Head cover = hat. Head cover = hat. 2 and 2 equaling 4 over here!!! I guess you can learn something new everyday. My head ain't just a hat rack anymore (or should I say "head cover" rack). Common Chip, you knew I couldn't resist. Love you and you're doing great!!! I'll be seeing you in the sand a week from Saturday!!

Ellen

Jody said...

Arizona? Arizona? You are soooo close!! That is a short vacation for us Southern Californians. The plans for the end are coming together. You just worry about getting yourself there!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY CHIP!!!

I read the comment Tracy left about you guys being apart for 6 months when you were in the Marines. It made me think about when Taylor was born, I went to the hospital with Amy and your Dad to see Tracy and the new baby. I remember Tracy talking to you on the phone (you were on a ship off the coast of Thailand or something)and I just remember thinking how strong the two of you must be to be apart during something like that. But THIS adventure has proven the two of you can get through anything, all you need is the love & support of one another and your children. I never forgot that phone conversation Tracy had with you after all these years, I remember thinking that I hope I find love like that one day! (and I have!). God Bless you Chip (& Tracy). Can't wait to hear that you've made it to sunny California safe & sound!!!!

Love & Prayers,
Julie Sanford (Anderson)

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah Chip I forgot to ask... Do you flip your kids inside out like you used to do to me & Amy when we were kids? that used to scare me to death ha ha ha good times!

-Julie

Yeargain/Gropp's said...

Chip,

What no picture??? How can we track your progress on the forehead tan line. Seriously, you are doing great and I know Tracy and the kids are really getting excited to see you. Keep up the good work, we are all behind you 110%.

Brian

Anonymous said...

Hey brother,

Glad to hear all is going well. I haven't mentioned it in any of my entries yet, so this one is for Tracy.

Chip must be riding on air when he thinks about all the support that he is receiving from you and the kids. Ya'll are a blessed family and hopefully we will be able to see ya'll soon. You know, Bren has family out in Boise, ID.. Maybe someday we'll be able to take a road trip out there.. Who knows.. Take care and remind Chip "When life feels down, look UP"..