Friday, October 12, 2007

DAY 40 - DESTINATION - FLAGSTAFF, AZ

Miles: 94.2 - Total Miles: 2,652 - Total Ascent: 77,391 ft.
From Day 1, I knew that once I reached Flagstaff, Arizona, it would be down hill the rest of the way (except for Prescott, I climb more that 3,500 feet that day). And now, here I am! But, let me tell you, it wasn't easy getting here.
.
Today started better than any other day. Beautiful weather, great scenery, and excellent terrain. I rode my first 20 miles in 1 hour and 2 minutes. That actually put me an hour ahead of schedule. We stopped for lunch in Winslow. When talking to the manager, at Taco Bell, about my journey, he decided to feed us both, my father-in-law and me, on the house. Way to go Robert - we really appreciated that!
.
It was after lunch that the tides changed, for the worse. The winds started gently from the south, and continued to get stronger. Towards the end of the ride, it was a full-blown headwind. I kept handing Ken my empty water bottles for him to re-fill. He would grab them from me, fill them, and then pull ahead and hand them back to me. This enabled me to ride continuously without stopping for the last 50 - 60 miles. It was a grind, but stopping and then starting again with such strong headwinds would have been very demotivating. I repeated the words of Larry the Cable Guy to my father-in-law, "Git-r-dun!" After nearly 6 weeks of pedaling, as I neared my hotel in Flagstaff, I finally caught a glimpse of the end of this journey...on a freeway sign that read LOS ANGELES!!!
.
At the end of the day, I'd say today was one of the toughest rides of this journey, so far. Tomorrow I'll ride through Sedona, and end up in Cottonwood, where I'll have my last rest-day!
.
"I CAN!"
.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! You made it to day 40. Was there ever any doubt? You are a great American. Thank you for being a "hero" to our family. This is what true heroes - ordinary men, being extraordinary - are made of. They keep going, even when the journey gets tough. YOU CAN, and YOU WILL!!!

Anonymous said...

Chip:

Getting to flagstaff is a real milestone. When you stand outside in the morning, close your eyes and listen hard; you will hear the faint sound in the distance of the waves breaking against the shore of Huntington Beach. Each day for the next week, the sound will get louder.....See you there.

Love Dad

Anonymous said...

Hi Chip,

Brian and I went out last night for a date night to a new place that we had never been. We totally thought of you and Tracy and how much fun you would have there. We laughed because when they brought Brians food...Brian and I both thought..."It would take Chip 2 hours to eat this"...because you are the slowest eater ever! Plus...they came to our table and made this fresh guac....and it would take him forever to finish because you would ask so many darned questions! Just wanted you to know that we don't go a day without thinking of you and this amazing work that you are doing. You have already touched and inspired so many people with your dedication. You know how I feel about the red, white and blue...and those that serve....my heart is so full.

Lisa

Anonymous said...

Hi Chip!

You are almost to Southern California I can't wait to see you arrive in Huntington Beach where everyone is cheering you on for a wonderful and awesome cause. I have a surprise for you when you huge your kids and Tracy.

I have some good news to report for the South Shelby Cardinals football team. They won their game on October 12th aganist Highland. the score was: 44-7 the next game is on October 19th and I will tell you the final on October 20th. their league record i: 3-4.

love, Jewels

Anonymous said...

Chip,

What can I say? Monitoring your progress over the last few weeks has been inspiring and motivating to say the very least. I recently read somewhere that the energy created by the wings of a butterfly can be measured several miles away.

There is no doubt the "energy" you have created with this trip and overall cause will be felt by countless numbers in countless places in this world. Well done and thank you for allowing my family and me the chance to be a part of this great cause.

All the best brother,

Aaron Hermanson

Anonymous said...

Chip you certainly are amazing! As I watched you peddle non stop for hours I was wondering if I could ride a bike to the store let alone across the country!

Tracy, here is a warning..... Chip is going to need a whole new set of pants........ his legs are so big they look like they are going to POP! His legs look like Popeyes arms! But I will tell you this, the tan lines were worth the trip, I had to ask him to wear a hat when we went out to eat so people didn't think he had a desease!

I enjoyed my 3 days with you very much and hope and pray the rest of the trip goes well. I know Monday you will be going up about 3500 feet in a 45 mile span so get your rest tonight.

Keep on keeping on, one mile at a time, one city at a time and only one more state at a time.

Ken (Gramps)

Anonymous said...

Ken:

I wish you and I could have been there at the same time. It would have been fun. Maybe we could arrange it on his next ride.

Ron

Anonymous said...

Yes, Larry the Cable Guy!! Such an inspiration! "I don't care who you are, that's funny right there!" Love you Chip. I leave tomorrow morning to fly to Boise and drive down with the family. I'm so excited. I'll miss staying up late and laughing our heads off together like last time but there's always the next visit. Anyways, keep going. I've got a Bill Engvall cd you are going to LOVE!! You can use it for the next mission. See you Saturday!

Love, Ellen