Friday, October 19, 2007

DAY 47 - DESTINATION - RIVERSIDE, CA

Miles: 85 - Total Miles: 3,101 - Total Ascent: 92,928 ft.
Now, I can finally smell it! I'm so close to ending this journey I just can't believe it. Today I met many different people and rode by many places that I had seen before. By best description of today, is that it was an out-of-body experience. I really can't even begin to imagine riding tomorrow. But, here are some of today's highlights:
.
.
I was invited to KMIR, the NBC affiliate in Palm Desert, and appeared on their morning show.
.
.
While in Indio I met up with John Hermanson's brother, Aaron (left), and his partner with the Riverside County Sherrifs Department.

.

We all agreed that this would have been much more helpful in Kansas.

.


Somewhere in New Mexico, I remember thinking that I would stop at the first In-N-Out that I came across, no matter what!

.


Ironically enough, John's other brother, Adam, is a Code Enforcement Officer with Riverside County and just happened to drive by.
.
.
Bruce Murrill, the father-in-law of a lady at the Blythe rally, organized a fundraising rally at The Farmhouse Restaurant in Banning. The owner, Jackie Kennedy (above), had a son who was killed in Iraq. His name was Joshua Palmer; a 26 year old Marine Lieutenant, who was shot by a sniper on April 8, 2004. Very symbolic of what this ride is all about.
.

Our waitress, Jamie, made this sign for me.

This is a wall in Jackie's restaurant. It is dedicated to her late son, Joshua.

.
Today was my last day with a support driver. Bernie and I have been friends since the 7th grade, more than 22 years. We got into trouble together when we were younger; both married our high school sweethearts; he was in my wedding; I was in his; he was with me on top of Mt. Whitney; and his wonderful family has come up to Boise to visit. Thanks Bernie, "You can be my wing man anytime!"
.
Tomorrow, I will be riding solo and dipping my front tire into the Pacific Ocean at Huntington Beach.

.
"I CAN!"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chip, Was so glad to here that you were in Riverside. I so wish that I could be there today (Sat) to witness such an amazing journey of strenth not only physically, but mentally, emotionally and spiritually as well. I am so grateful to you for allowing me to be a part of such a wonderful adventure. I never knew how much this trek across the country could stir up so many emotions (and I wasn't even the one pedelling). You are a great man Chip for this accomplishment. Tracy...You are the best! Taylor, Aubrey, Hannah and Jack....He did it!! And so did you!!! Love you guys!

Lisa

Tracy said...

Fantastic post and pictures! Today is Saturday. I am overwhelmed and excited and anxious, etc, etc, etc. Thank you to everyone who has touched Chip's life along the way these past 47 days. So many have helped and supported him. We are counting down the seconds Chip, to see you ride in. You did it. I am so ready to have you back home. I am so proud of who you are and what you have accomplished - not only these last 7 weeks, but for long, long before that! Now, we are ready to have our fantastic father and husband back. We love and support you 100% - no matter what. (But why dontchya take a little break for a little while maybe!) :)

Anonymous said...

Chip, it was absolutely amazing having you stop through town and visit with our family.

It is truely an honor to have been present on your final leg in Huntington. It was a memorable experience that my family will never forget. Love you bro!

Adam Hermanson

Jacob Irving said...

Great post, Chip! It's nice to see the Hermansons and Bernie helping you out with so much.

Beth said...

Oh my goodness. I do not know what to say. I am so proud of you. And so happy for you!

Jeanette said...

Okay, dude. Here we are three hours different on the east coast and we're having a really hard time waiting to see pictures and hear about everything. Our kids never called us back to report the great arrival! How proud we are of you, Chip. What an amazing feat and tribute. You have such a determination and spirit and are a great representative of our nation and its spirit.