Sunday, October 14, 2007

DAY 42 - 6th (and final) REST DAY - THANK YOU TAYLOR FAMILY!

I'd hate to call it a bitter-sweet feeling, because there's nothing "bitter" about it...I'm ready to go home! However, for my final day of rest on this journey, I had the most wonderful time, with the most wonderful family. Meet the Taylor's. Dad (Chris), Mom (Tandy), C.J. (16), Lashea (14), and Chaz the fireball (7). They are simply the greatest, the American dream! Here is how I met them:
.
A Bishop back in Boise, Idaho was looking after me, again. So, he contacted a Bishop, here in Cottonwood, informed him of my journey, and put me in contact with him. When I spoke with Bishop Taylor of the Black Hills Ward, he agreed to send someone to pick me up for church. Sure enough, Mike Gordon (the Elders Quorum President) arrived at my hotel shortly before 9:00 this morning. Of course, it was great to experience the sights, sounds, familiarities, and feelings of church. But the people here in Cottonwood are wonderful!
.
Bishop Taylor invited me to his home for dinner. His wife, Tandy (those of you in Anaheim might find it ironic that there is another Tandy Taylor in Arizona), insisted that I bring my dirty laundry and wash it at their home...with fabric softener!
.
Tonight will definitely go down as a highlight of this incredible journey. Not only did the Taylor's invite me into their home, but two missionaries, and a family friend as well. We ate, and laughed, talked, and laughed, just visited, and laughed a little more. Most of the laughing was at (or with) 7 year year old Chaz, he sure was a character. And quite a football player from what I'm told. He must take after his older brother. C.J. is a junior in high school and seems like a really great kid. Their daughter Lashea (or Shea) is also fantastic, very sweet, polite, quite patient with her little brother, and enjoys playing volleyball.
.
The Taylor's were incredibly warm and friendly to me. They brought out a laptop computer and I was able to narrate some of the experiences from by blog to their family. I couldn't begin to thank them enough for their generosity. Chris and Tandy, I admire both of you and the great family that you have. Please visit my blog often. I hope to hear from you again someday. Thank you for your exceptional hospitality!
.
And just when you thought it couldn't get any better...John Hermanson (my very good friend from California) arrived at my hotel tonight. He will be my support driver for the next 2 1/2 days. Arizona will never be the same! 42 days down, 6 to go.
.
"I CAN!'

11 comments:

Daytrippingmom Media said...

Hi Chip,
I've been checking your blog everyday to read about your incredible journey but have never gotten around to leaving a comment. I just wanted to say that it's been amazing to read about your journey and I admire what you are doing!! You're awesome!!

Tracy said...

Fantastic!! And I would like to personally thank the Taylor family for inviting Chip to your home and making him feel so welcome. He didn't have enough good things to say about you when he called. People like you make it a whole lot easier on me. It can be tough not knowing who or what Chip will run into next when he is away on such a unique journey. I'm so happy he ran into you! What a great picture of your family, too! Gosh, what do you feed your famiy?! Or is my husband shrinking?! (sorry honey) :) Chip - I'm leaving to see you the day after tomorrow - in the words of our Taylor - sweet!

The Taylor Clan said...

What an uplifting, inspirational evening we had with Chip!! He is an one incredible person. I wasn't sure what to expect when my husband said we had a biker traveling coast to coast coming through town that wanted to attend church...I'm thinking a Harley Biker. I could hardly believe it when I realized he is doing this on a regular bike, and for what? Chip is busting his rear to show his love for his country, those who have given their lives for our freedom, and the American flag. My children will forever remember the stories and the passion Chip shared with us. I admire his wife, Tracy, who has sacrificed so much to allow this to happen. She, too, is a hero in my eyes. Chip speaks highly of her and longs to see her and his children in one more week. Last night, when we had family prayer, one of my kids said let's not forget to pray for Chip...Thanks Chip for making an impact on our lives.

Anonymous said...

Your last rest day. What a great one to end on. And now you're on your last Monday as I write this, etc. etc. I can imagine all sorts of emotions and feelings that you must be experiencing. I miss the Hermansons's and am glad John is with you now. As excited as we are for you to finish, having Tracy and the kids come in on Thursday is just as much a
highlight (if not slightly even more!). God speed Chip. See you very very soon!
Faye

Anonymous said...

TRACY- I hope you & the kids have a safe trip to California. I'm glad you're finally going to have Chip back. I admire you for standing by him while he fulfills his dream.

CHIP- Your journey is almost over. Keep your head up these next few days, you're doing great! What an inspiration you are to so many people, I'm proud to say that I know you. Thanks for taking the time to post a blog everyday, it's been so fun to follow your journey.

Lots of Love,
Julie Sanford (Anderson)

Anonymous said...

Hey there friend! Just finished walking with Tracy. You called while we were walking and I can only tell you how awesome it was to hear Tracy laugh and the excitement in her voice for her to be reunited with you in a few short days.

Tandy Taylor and family, what a blessing to Tracy to know that her husband was taken care of so well. She couldn't say enough of how grateful she was to you and your sweet family. Thank you so much!

Endure my friend...you are almost home!

Lisa

Jody said...

You mean your last rest day alone! The next day you get to rest you will be surrounded by Tracy and the kids!!

Of course just saying that reminds me of your cause and for the children who have lost a parent for a lot longer than seven weeks. Keep riding for those kids this week!

Jacob Irving said...

You're just about there Chip. Don't pull a "Bill Chute"! I'm happy you're having such great experiences even though I know you're probably ready for this to be over. I hope I'm able to see you at the finish!

dennis irving said...

Wow, you are so amazing to me. I've been hearing about you & thinking of you nearly every day, but not being good with the computer, I've not read your daily narrations until today. Jacob helped me pull it up. I nearly read the whole trip. Holly Cow, the winds & hills must have been aweful. I just did an 18 miler today to Yorba Regional & my legs are tired. I was thrilled to see my mug in the Half Dome photo. I am retired now. Had I known, I would have been your driver on some of your journey. I so much want to ride the final leg with you to the beach, but have temple baptisms with the youth, soccer games & then the Road Show. Maybe Pat, Jacob, Ken/Kris & kids will come over to Bernie's reception to see your family on Sunday afternoon. Besides, I have a hard time staying a 14 m/per hr. Your go over 20. Your the MAN.

Anonymous said...

Hello Chip! I'm so happy that you are nearing the end of your journey!
BUT, I will selfishly say that I'm going to miss waking to your latest entry each morning! It has been such an uplifting experience for me as well as all the others who do the same. See you soon! Ann Hermanson(John Hermanson's mother)

Anonymous said...

CHIP...this is your sister, would you PUH-LEEZE hurry up and post today's entry? My GAWWWW it's almost 11:00 p.m. and I've GOT to go to bed. I just got off the phone with Tracy...had a nice chat. Looking forward to seeing you and the kids in just a few days. Surf City here we come!!!!