Monday, October 15, 2007

DAY 43 - DESTINATION - PRESCOTT, AZ

Miles: 45.9 - Total Miles: 2,745 - Total Ascent: 83,186 ft.
In the words of Corporal Kevin Brooking, an old Marine buddy of mine from Georgia, (in a high pitched voice) "Whooooooo-wheeeeeeee!!!" What a climb! The elevation in Cottonwood this morning was 3,350 ft. As you can see in the photo above, I rode to the top of Mingus Summit at 7,023 ft. That's a climb of 3,700 ft. Now, it is definitely all down hill.
.
Today started out with a climb right away. About 9 miles outside of Cottonwood is an old tourist town called Jerome. I've heard good things about this old ghost town/mining town. One of which is a place to eat called "Haunted Hamburger." This was an excellent choice, as I believe I had the best burger in the world (it seems this is a constant pursuit of mine).
.
After lunch I continued to climb for another 8 miles. And then...what goes up, must come down. That was the highlight of today's ride - a 7 mile decent where I broke my speed record of 37.7 mph, with a 40.0 mph.
.

Before dinner, John and I drove to the Arizona National Guard Armory. This is where I spent 30 days as a Marine, training with the D.E.A. In fact, the very doors behind me are the same doors that I went in and out of numerous times with Bach, Doc, Bunk, Coonass, and Anderson J., 12 years ago. What memories this ignited!

John's last day is tomorrow, so in celebration, he took me to Outback Steakhouse for dinner tonight. I must say, that having John here was a well needed dose of Comic Relief. I have laughed more in the last day and a half, than I have in the three years. Thanks John! Tomorrow we will have to get a snapshot of you and your support vehicle.

"I CAN!

7 comments:

Tracy said...

Great climb, Chip! I'm so glad you called me at the elevation sign. It was a great feeling when you told me that it literally is all down hill from there! I can hardly contain my excitement for your finish. I have pictured it so many times, I'm ready for it to happen! I'm so proud of what you have accomplished. I am so blessed to be your wife. Hi John - I miss you - you make me laugh so hard, it hurts.

Love you Chip! See you in 5 days - FIVE DAYS!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Chip, I am back from my trip and catching up on your adventure. What a climb! You are an inspiring individual.

YOU CAN!

Dave

The Taylor Clan said...

Way to go Chip!! We checked your blog several times last night in hopes of knowing you made the climb. When we didn't find anything, Chaz became worried and wanted to know if we thought you were o.k. Chaz called you on your cell phone to make sure you made it, and when no one answered he became a little more worried. We checked first thing this AM and there you are!! I bet your ride was beautiful and the down hill is great! Thanks for the phone call to my older kids' school relaying the message, "I CAN!" They thought that was so cool. I wish we knew about this ride when you started so we could have followed you. I'm glad that we were lucky enough to run into you. You are an inspiration to all. My kids will forever remember our night with you and the impact you had on them. Tracy, I can't imagine the excitement you must feel!! Keep busy this week so these next few days will fly!! Happy reunion!!

Anonymous said...

Your almost there, i can feel the excitement in your blog. We all knew you could do it.

Have a good one..

Hippy Doug

Yeargain/Gropp's said...

Chip,

You're the man, a 3700 foot climb is impressive to even an old fat accountant. Of course now you probably don't even have to pedal anymore. You have imprssed me each time I have looked at this blog and how your beautiful wife and kids have handled this has been equally as impressive. I guess Dr. O really does know how to do things right. We are all behind you and can't wait to take you and Tracy out for your birthdays when you get back.

YOU CAN & LOOKS LIKE YOU WILL.

Brian

Anonymous said...

Chip....Payton says "I miss you because you have been gone for a while...and...I love you"

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see you tomorrow Chip! I know John had a great time, and I am happy that we are able to support you. Hope you are looking forward to another home cooked meal! See you soon-

Angie