Wednesday, October 10, 2007

DAY 38 - DESTINATION - GALLUP, NM

Miles: 69.4 - Total Miles: 2,467 - Total Ascent: 72,181 ft.
Good news - my American Flag is operational once again! Thanks to Dan. Today's highlight was crossing the Continental Divide. This is the point that separates rainfall. West of this point, the rainfall flows to the Pacific Ocean. East of this point, the rainfall flows to the Atlantic Ocean.
.
.
As I entered Gallup I passed a Native American Cultural Center. Displayed in the front was a really cool statue of a U.S. Marine as a tribute to the Navajo Code Talkers. The Code Talkers played a vital role in taking the island of Iwo Jima. This was quite an impressive memorial. For more information about the Code Talkers, visit www.navajocodetalkers.org
.
.
Today was Dan's last day as a support driver. I hated to see him go, as we had such a good time. Thanks Dan, you were a great help out here!
.
Tomorrow I will be riding solo. But, I will be meeting Tracy's dad for dinner in Holbrook, Arizona. He will be my support driver on Friday and Saturday. Looking forward to his arrival and assistance.
.
I hope to see you all at Huntington Beach...in just 10 days!
.
"I CAN!"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Allright Chip you Da Man. It is good to see Danny was able to be there to help you along in your quest. And we are glad you have the Flag issue handled, I know how important this is to you and what you have taught me about what it stands for. I am thankful that my family moved to Anaheim while you and Tracy and the kids were here. you have been an inspiration to us all and we look forward to seeing you on the 20th.

Calvin Laub

Jody said...

Now that you are on the other side of the divide, does that mean there will be more down hill slopes for you?

Glad to hear Old Glory is flying again. You guys just go together!

Anonymous said...

Hi there friend! Thinking that you only have 10 days is unreal to me. It brought tears to my eyes knowing that in a few short days you will be reunited with your amazing family. I wish I could be there but maybe I will send "flat Lisa". It seems like just yesterday that I was preaching to you about how to hold a yard sale (and actually make money) for this awesome event. Tracy and I walked this morning and the weather here has gotten a bit colder. It was windy and cold but knowing that you were out there pressing on with fierce determination makes me take one step more. The "hill" was awful...but...worth it! Know that Brian and I are thinking of you and can't wait to see you when you get home. ONWARD EVER ONWARD!

Lisa

Rachel and Jared said...

Chip! I can't believe your journey is almost over! It has been so fun to see your pictures and to read about your adventures! I'll have to keep my eyes out for you when you come through Flagstaff! Chip, you are an inspiration to everyone! Good luck with the last leg of your journey! Keep safe!

Rachel (Elliott's little sis)

Katie said...

Holy cow! It is incredible how the days are are just flying by (well, easy for me to say since I am not peddaling for 100 miles a day). Keep on going! Glad to hear all is well with you.