Thursday, October 4, 2007

DAY 32 - DESTINATION - TUCUMCARI, NM

Miles: 94.7 - Total Miles: 2,083 - Total Ascent: 56,984 ft.
"Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday dear Tracy. Happy birthday to you." Thank you for indulging me, but today is my wife Tracy's birthday. I wish I could be there to help her celebrate. But, considering the circumstances, this will have to do. Happy birthday honey!
.
Only 10 miles into the ride today, I pedaled my 2,000th mile! I was on the phone with Tracy (singing Happy Birthday to her) at the time, so now it was a memorable experience for both of us.
.
.
Just before the half-way point of today's ride I crossed my 9th state line. I am currently in NEW MEXICO! It is very apparent that I'm in the west now. The dry ground, sage, and vague presence of rocks and mountains are reminiscent of California (and Idaho for that matter).
.
Quite a ride today. From the start, we went 65 miles without passing a gas station, food establishment, or so much as a water stop. But we were prepared and had plenty of water and snacks to get us by.
.
Once we arrived at our hotel (Comfort Inn) they informed me that their Internet service is down. Blast! So, thanks to the good people at the Hampton Inn for allowing me to use my charm and talk myself into being able to use their business center.
.
I am definitely getting closer - I can feel it now. Big day tomorrow - 109 miles with a pretty good climb.
.
"I CAN!"
.

8 comments:

Tracy said...

Aaaaaawwwwe!!!
Thank you Chip - that just made me so happy! What a thoughtful, wonderful husband you are. I can't wait to see you. I Love you!

Katie said...

Happy Birthday Tracy! And, welcome to the west, Chip! The countdown is on! Wishing you all the best!

Rachel and Jared said...

Chip! I'm catching up on your posts. It has been so fun to see your progress! I see you're getting closer to Flagstaff, I'll have to keep my eyes out for that beautiful flag!Best of luck! Keep safe!

Anonymous said...

Chip, It was great talking to you last night. You are a good friend. I emailed Glenn Beck's show again. His prducer Stu was my target this time. They get so many emails though it's hard to imagine them reading it in time. Any chance you could slow down a bit and may drag this out another month? Just kidding!!!

Drive on!! Devil Dog!

Dave

Tracy, Happy Birthday!!!

Jacob Irving said...

Happy Birthday Tracy! Hats off to you. You have an amazing wife, Chip. It would have been tough to accomplish this without her. Not too many more days and we'll be seeing you in Huntington Beach. Keep those legs moving!

Jody said...

Congratulations on such a milestone, 2000 miles!! You are going to be here before you know it!!

Anonymous said...

Keep peddling son....... keep peddling! One mile at a time, one city at a time, one state at a time!

YOU CAN, YOU WILL!

Ken (Gramps)

Beth said...

What a great birthday gift. 2000 miles closer to seeing you!