Wednesday, October 3, 2007

DAY 31 - DESTINATION - DALHART, TX

Miles: 72.9 - Total Miles: 1,988 - Total Ascent: 54,539 ft.
Howdy y'all! As quick as Oklahoma came, it now lies in the ranks with New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, and Kansas. Because tonight I'm in TEXAS! I have been looking forward to this part of the journey from the beginning. I knew when I hit Liberal, Kansas, the next week would go quickly. Then that would leave me with only 2 weeks until the finish line. Of course, I still need to finish this week!
.
Today went well. Pretty windy though. And a whole lot of Oklahoma and Texas nothing. At the border is a town called Texhoma. Strange town; the state line runs right down the middle of it. And in Texhoma is, on California standards (or even Boise, Idaho), a seemingly quaint place to eat called the Texhoma Livestock Auction Restaurant. It is said to have good food and great prices (or vice-versa). Either way, we decided to stop. Yes, the food was good (or great). It seems like everywhere you go in this part of the country, they serve steak! Not only did I have the guts to walk in and sit down among a room full real cowboys (hats, buckles, boots, even spurs) while wearing "biker tights", but I also ordered a BLT!
.
After lunch, we walked around the corner to watch, and listen to, the Livestock Auction. Now that was a cultural experience. So much so, that I went out to the truck just to get my video camera. There I sat, in an arena (room) full of country-bumpkins, who were bidding on anything from baby calf's (single or groups), and momma cows, to full blown bulls (aggressive ones, too). So, in my typical fashion, I just HAD to roll some video. The auctioneer was classic!
.
As we were leaving, this authentic group of Texan Cowboys was fanatically curious about my bike and trailer, as well as who, when, what, where, and why the heck I was riding a bicycle to California. So fellas', it was great meeting you. Take care and best of luck to y'all!
.
Tomorrow is a special day, for more than one reason, and I can't wait!
.
"I CAN!"

8 comments:

Holly said...

Chip,

Elliott & I have very strong memories of crossing through Texas - not once, but twice - as we hauled ourselves from NM to FL and then back to CA. It is BIG, FLAT (where we rode anyway) and LONG to drive through. Can't imagine what it'll be like to go through on a bike - but you'll do it, no doubt! I crack up every time you refer to your "tights" (bike, biker, or whatever!) Hope Tracy enjoys the Hoops & YoYo I sent her for tomorrow! :) She's a keeper, for sure! :)

Anonymous said...

Never tire of anxiously checking the blogsite between 10 and 11 at night, being disappointed if you haven't posted yet or feeling very satisfied and content if you have. And since you have, now I'll go mark my map.

Ride safe. Glad that Dad is there with you.

Faye

Yeargain/Gropp's said...

Chip,

From my background the auction seems really normal and a guy in biking shorts and lots of lycra is, well, very special if you know what I mean. But what else would Dr. O wear across the country. Remember we are behind you and miss you. YOU CAN and WILL

Brian

Anonymous said...

Only 16 more days Chip!!! You're almost done, I'm sure you are very excited to see Tracy and the kids. I loved your blog, I can totally imagine you walking into the room full of "real" cowboys and YOU in your tight bike shorts hahahahaha that's hilarious!
Stay strong Chip...

-Julie Sanford (Anderson)

Columbia Village Gropps said...

Hi Chip!
2 weeks to go! Wow! You are really going to do this! I wish I could be there to see Tracy and your kids' faces when you ride up on the beach. That is going to be so priceless. I hope someone gets pictures!!
The boys say,"You're awesome! Way to go!" Brayden asks, "Will you sign my cast when you get back?" (He had a little incident on the playground). We love you! We'll see you in a few weeks! YIPEE!!
You're flyin' now!

Nikki

Anonymous said...

You know if you look at the picture of you in front of the sign welcoming you to Texas, it looks 3-D. Very cool!! It was smart of you to go through northern Texas. When I drove through I took the southern route and it seemed like it would never end. Only a couple more states to go!!! You're doing awesome!! Pretty soon you'll be able to say, "I DID!", but for now, "YOU ARE, YOU ARE!!" Stay safe, love you!!

Ellen

Anonymous said...

Chip,
Thanks for taking the photo of the "authenic Texas cowboys"--the one with the mustache is my husband, a real cowboy/cattle hauler who learned to ride bareback early in life plus farmed with his father from the age of 9 years in the Panhandle of Texas. He is honest, quiet, soft-spoken, hard-working---the epitomy of the cowboy breed in many ways and the light of our children and grandchildren's lives. He was proud to meet you and wishes you all the best on your wonderful journey. We in the USA need to recognize the greatness of all ordinary persons who become men and women of the Armed Forces inspiring our country with their bravery and courage!! Thanks!
Texas Gran

sandy said...

Chip,
I am sorry I missed you when you came to the Livestock Cafe. Next
time I would like for you to have
a steak. My treat.
Godd Bless
Sandy, Texhoma Livestock Restaurant
Texhoma, Ok.