Sunday, October 7, 2007

DAY 35 - 5th REST DAY - SURPRISE!!!

Ok, as if you didn't already know from the recent comments made by some great friends and family members, today is my birthday. For the past 18 or 19 years, my wife and I have enjoyed celebrating our birthdays together, as they fall so close together (Oct. 4th and 7th). This year has been an exception, though, but we have been able to communicate and utilize this blog to celebrate, in a modified way.

You may recall from a previous post (Day 14) the day I spent with the Denkers of Indiana. In that post I explained that a good friend in California looked after me by contacting his brother in Indiana to make arrangements for my stay. Well just to prove what a good friend he really is, Dan Denkers (of California) showed up at my hotel today with a birthday cake for me (candles and all). Dan will be my support driver tomorrow, Tuesday, and Wednesday. What a guy!

No church services today. But I still had plenty to do. My brother, Rob, took me out for breakfast this morning. He then departed back to his home in Colorado. I sure enjoyed his short stay and am grateful that he came down to visit. There was laundry to be done (by hand in the bathtub) and receipts to be logged in and filed. My gear and equipment needed to be re-inventoried and I also had to go get lunch.

On our way to dinner (by the way, Dan took me to Outback Steak House for my birthday) Dan handed me an envelope that was mailed to his house. Tracy and the kids sent a bundle of pictures and letters to Dan's house so he could hand deliver them to me on my birthday - is she great or what?!?

First thing tomorrow morning we have to pick my bike up from the shop. Then a couple of errands and off we go...on our way to California, but Albuquerque first!

"I CAN!"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chip I received a email from Tracy tonight explaining you really NEED a support driver for this Friday and Saturday. I'm going to try but as I'm new on the job I don't know if I'll be able to make it. I'll let you know by Tuesday.

If any one out there can help please let Tracy know ASAP. It is 507 miles to Flagsaff from Orange County via the 10 freeway through Pheonix (about an 8 hour drive). Flagstaff is where you would meet Chip.

Let's try to help Chip, keep on keeping on!

Yeargain/Gropp's said...

Chip,

Happy belated birthday. You are doing an amazing job. Wearing through a tire??? I thought we were doing awesome if we actually wore the little stubs that come from the factory on the bike tires. When you get back Lisa and I will have to take you and your better half out for your birhtdays.

YOU CAN and WILL

Brian

Anonymous said...

Chip-

I was glad I got to come down and visit...even if it was short. Better than nothing of course. Drive home was very smooth, but every time I went down a long down grade, I thought of how you already came up that same grade. I'm impressed with what you've done so far, as I mentioned to you down there yesterday.
Keep up the good work, and please, do something about those tan lines!

-Rob

Beth said...

Happy Birthday Chip! The kids are so excited to see you. You're doing so great. We are very proud to tell people about you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Chip!

Happy B-lated 35th Birthday! I hope you had a wonderful time on your birthday with Dan Denkers. Faye your mother in law is going to tell me when you arrive in Huntington Beach, CA next week. Can't wait to see you and I have a special friend surprise for you.

Stay warm and keeping on peddling.

Jewels

Holly said...

I just wished you a Happy Birthday on Tracy's blog so I guess now I better wish Tracy a Happy Birthday here!

Great job Chip! I really enjoy reading about your journey. You definitely CAN!



(Sorry, I've been taking a bit of a blog break lately, which is why I'm five & two days late on the b-day wishes!)