Tuesday, October 2, 2007

DAY 30 - DESTINATION - GUYMON, OK

Miles: 42.2 - Total Miles: 1,916 - Total Ascent: 52,703
"We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto!" I have been waiting to say that for a long time. A major milestone of this journey was Kansas. It seemed like most situational scenarios revolved around Kansas, "If you make it to Kansas, this." or "By the time I get through Kansas, that." And now, I'M IN OKLAHOMA!!! Yee-haw!
.
Today was an excellent day. Pretty short mileage, but lots of excitement. No need to draft behind the truck, as the winds were fairly manageable. At one point, I was actually riding with one hand, on the phone with Tracy with the other, and going up a long, long, steady incline while maintaining 21 miles per hour, it felt great!
.
Shortly after I left Liberal, KS, I crossed the state line into Oklahoma. That concludes the longest, most monotonous portions of the ride. Not long into Oklahoma, along Hwy 54, I came upon a town called...Hooker. One could only imagine the variety of innuendo that was in that sleepy, little town. For example, the mascot for their competitive baseball team is the Horny Toads. Anyway, when looking for a decent place to eat lunch I was referred to Pizza On Broadway.
.
This amazing little restaurant is owned and operated by a sweet lady named Hattie Marie Davis. Hattie has been in business for 21 years, at the same location. She truly loves people and is fortunate to have her daughter working with her. They seemed pretty intrigued in my journey, as we sat and visited for nearly an hour. By the end of our stay, Hattie gave my dad and I one of her 20th Anniversary t-shirts that reads "Hooker P.O.B. (Pizza on Broadway) 20", she invited us to sign the actual wall of her restaurant, and she informed us that our lunch was her treat - she picked up our tab! How nice can someone be? Hattie named her restaurant P.O.B. not just because it's on Broadway Street, but because she has a dream to be able visit New York City and go to a show ON Broadway. Hattie, thank you for a wonderful time! Best of luck with your future and I hope you make it to New York, it's an incredible place to visit. You and your daughter are wonderful people!
.
Shortly before our destination of Guymon, dad and I separated momentarily while he sped up ahead for an urgent "pit-stop". It was a bizarre case of comic relief when I came up over a hill, only to learn, perhaps why I had been pulled over twice on this journey...like father, like son.
.
"I CAN!"
.

11 comments:

Roxana said...

Chip: You are not in Kansas anymore! yeah!!!
I'm so, so happy for you. You are truly an inspiration for setting dreams & goals and actually going after them. I admire your tenacity and the love for your wife and kids. You are setting such a high standard for all other husbands out there.

Tracy said...

Yeah, that was pretty impressive today honey - you weren't even out of breath while talking to me and riding at the same time! :)That phonecall telling me you were officially out of Kansas had me doing a major happy dance! Oh yeah - the days are gonna fly by now - YAY!!! Pedal faster!!

We CAN!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, you have no idea how hard it is to keep from jumping all over this entry to the blog. There is so much here, suffice it to say it looks like Oklahoma will never be the same with two Schultz's in it. Maybe we should all be praying for Oklahoma to survive the visit!

It's good you have someone taking the heat off of you Chip, perhaps you'll sneak by under the radar and make great time. Good luck to both of you, keep on keeping on!

Anonymous said...

Chip - Glad you're making such good progress, you sound very happy! About your dad getting pulled over. My concern is the pit stop he was rushing toward. My goodness, I hope he made it!!!Did he ask the officer to write quickly? Love to both of you.

Anonymous said...

Chip, We love you man!!!! Your journals are great! This will make a great book! Still no word yet on "crossroads"...but...no worries...we'll get there. Next stop....TEXAS!!!!!!

Love Lisa, Brian and the gang

Anonymous said...

P.S. Chip, I can't believe you didn't reverse the picture of you on top of the sign in OK. Um....are you getting soft flag man?

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you have a cell phone on this ride, but you haven't thought about giving ole' Coonass a call. Hmmmm. Not that I would expect one or anything. I mean, we haven't reached our annual phone call conversation yet anyways. Sure wouldn't want to break tradition. I hope I can make it out there to see you come in. Still working on that one.. If you give me a call (Hint, Hint) maybe we can talk about it.. You should already have my cell phone number. If not, email me and I'll send it to you.. Coonass.. Out..

Jody said...

Oh come on people! He's a "Chip off the old block!" Am I really the first to think of that?

This was a great post! Good comic relief for all of us following your journey. Had me laughing out loud with the "Horney Toads" and the last picture. Kansas was brutal, hope that was the worst of it.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Jody...I REALLY hate to toot my own horn here but...HONK HONK.

With regard to your comment about "Chip off the ole block"...please see my comment for Day 16, Champaign, IL. Hey, you asked!

Chip is named after our dad (Ronald) but we've always called him "Chip" for "Chip off the ole block". Plus I think he had chubby little CHIPmunk cheeks when he was a baby so that may have played a part too. :)
In fact, now that I think of it...my almost 5 month old son, Ryan, has those same chubby little choppers.

Anyway...Go Chip, GO GO (clap, clap)!!! There's a little cheer for ya, Chip. Remember that?!?!?!

Anonymous said...

Hello again, Chip! You are truly an inspiration!! Your website is the first place I go each morning when I arrive at work. This trip and all your adventures will be with you forever - think of the material you will always have on hand for your children and grandchildren. What an accomplishment!! We look forward to seeing you when you arrive in the Coachella Valley. Best Regards from Ann Hermanson(mother of John Hermanson)

schultz kids said...

Hi Dad!!! I love that picture of you on that Oklahoma sign! That was so cool!!! I was amazed and in shock that grampa got "pulled over!" Anyway, it looks like you are doing great! I can't belive it, HALF WAY!!! I am unbelievably excited to see you again in California!! I love you so much and can't tell you how proud I am of you!!! YOU ARE THE BEST DAD EVER!!! (I mean that!)

Love always, Aubrey