Saturday, October 13, 2007

DAY 41 - DESTINATION - COTTONWOOD, AZ

Miles: 47.3 - Total Miles: 2,699 - Total Ascent: 78,710 ft.
If you have never driven along Highway 89A, from Flagstaff to Cottonwood, Arizona, I highly recommend doing so. Today was, by far, my favorite riding day! Not only because it was half the distance of the day prior and I dropped 3,600 feet in elevation; but also because the scenery was absolutely amazing.
.
While eating breakfast at our hotel, I met a really nice couple. Randy and Judy Lackner are from Phoenix. Their son is attending Northern Arizona University (NAU). This weekend, coincidentally, is Parents Weekend at the college. What this meant for me was that if I didn't happen to have hotel reservations, I would not have found a room anywhere in Flagstaff. Parents Weekend is quite a popular event in this really nice town. Randy and Judy were super people. They were genuinely interested in, and excited about the O.M.E.H. Bike Tour. We visited for some time, then wished each other well and parted ways. It was very nice meeting you Lackners!
.
.
.
Hey look, it's Flat Hannah! She got a piggy-back-ride from her Gramps. It was good to see Ken. Not only was he a great support driver, but we had a great time together. If anyone knows Ken...never a dull moment!
.
.
.
Talk about breath taking scenery. Arizona is amazing! Just how you would picture it, this part anyway. The bridge in the photo above was pretty wild - no shoulder, just two lanes of traffic. So, when the timing was right, I was able to ride across it. Wow! And the photo above it, was taken in a quaint little town, Sedona - unlike anything you've ever seen! If you have not been to Sedona, it's a must see!
.

Once we made it to Cottonwood, I was trying to get a picture of Flat Hannah with Gramps (see above). While getting Ken to "pose" a really nice family passing by asked, "Is that Flat Stanley?" When I told them that this was actually Flat Hannah, the man came over to help hold her head upright for the picture. If you scroll back up, you can't even tell that the man in the photo above, is actually standing behind Ken and holding Flat Hannah's head up. They, too, were genuinely nice people. They had just returned from a funeral. But when Ken, my spokes model, informed them of my coast-to-coast journey, they managed to stop and visit with us for a while. What great people!

Tomorrow is the last rest day of this journey.

"I CAN!"

5 comments:

Tracy said...

Wonderful post, Chip! Dad, it's so good to see you! Wow, you really must have walked by a LOT of that wet paint you used to talk about a lot when one of us kids would notice a gray hair or two!! Darn wet paint. I'm so glad you went, you were a wonderful help to Chip. Chip - TOMORROW IS YOUR LAST MONDAY!!! Heck, it's my last one too - without you. Thank goodness for Beth and Fo'ou and the kids - they helped time fly. They kept me laughing and happy. The kids couldn't have been so strong without them! I just can't believe it's almost time! The kids are all packed and dying to leave. This is it!! Time to poor on the motivation everyone, the hilliest hills are yet to come - and if the adversary is going to try and make Chip fail, it's now. So Chip - pull out all that strength I know you have inside you and as Rocky would say, "Go For It" - I love you Chip Schultz!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Chip ~

Regarding, Oct. 20th...can somebody provide more specifics on time? Sounds like your planning to arrive at or around 3pm so we'll plan on arriving before that but what time is this expected to go until...anybody know what time the beach closes??? We're driving up 2 hours from San Diego and are also planning to visit with some of Scott's family that lives in HB while we're in town so just curious what time this is expected to end so we can plan accordingly.

Looking forward to seeing you, Tracy and the kids in less than a week.

Columbia Village Gropps said...

Hi Chip!
I just got caught up for the week. Our internet was down for a few days...torturous! I loved reading Tracy's comment, you can just feel the excitement! Can you believe you will being hugging them in less than a week! That's got to be enough motivation to get you through. On top of that you will have a whole crowd waiting for you, too! I wish we were going to be in that mix. But we will be waiting here in Boise for your second homecoming! We all miss you and can't wait to see you! You are almost there, you can do it!!

Nikki

Sydney said...

WOW, what adventures you're having! I love the journaling you've kept and it's so nice to know that there are good people wherever you go! Hang in there, you can do it!!

Anonymous said...

Tracy, I'm so excited for you and the kids to see Chip! What a wonderful reunion that will be. He talks about it so much so I know it will be a fantastic time.

Everyone, please keep praying for Chip these last few days. When I left Cottenwood I drove the route he will be on to scout it out. When I called him to give him some notes I explained it was going to be one heck of a climb out of Cottenwood to Prescot and he will need to be alert at all times. I know he is up for it as his will and desire are all fired up so let's get him to the Pacific and all the hotdogs he can eat in good shape.

See you very soon, keep on keeping on!
Ken (Gramps)