Saturday, October 6, 2007

DAY 34 - DESTINATION - SANTA FE, NM

Miles: 69.8 - Total Miles: 2,265 - Total Ascent: 66,264 ft.
Now that I'm in New Mexico, it is my understanding that it is acceptable to ride on the interstate freeways, as there is no other route between two cities. So, quite happily, I rode on I-25 from Las Vegas, New Mexico to Santa Fe. I was discouraged at first, when I read the sign at the on-ramp that said NO PEDESTRIANS OR BICYCLISTS. Then I read another smaller sign underneath that read BICYCLISTS STAY ON SHOULDER. Go figure! I also called the State Police and was told that cycling on the interstate was permissible. But I was told the same in Pennsylvania as well - I guess we'll just have to wait and see!
.
Shortly after I got on the freeway, I noticed a unique sign that just had to become a part of this blog (see above). Does that seem unsettling to anyone?
.
.
Just a few miles outside of Santa Fe, my dad got a flat tire on his truck. Luckily he had a good spare and after 45 minutes we were up and rolling again. Until just a ways after that...I got a flat! The first one since New Jersey, so I couldn't complain, too much. But what alarmed me more than the flat was that there was a hole with "spider web cracks" in the rim of my back wheel. And to top it off, the tread on my rear tire had actually worn through - not good! I have plenty of spare tubes. I even have two spare tires. But the hole and crack in my rim was a "show stopper". Luckily I had a support vehicle and was able to get to a local bike shop here in Santa Fe. The question that has been haunting me is, "What if this had happened in Pennsylvania, or Missouri, or anywhere else?" I also just happened to print off a list of Santa Fe bike shops last night because it's time for a tune-up and tomorrow is a rest day. So, the bottom line is that I found one bike shop here in town that sells the tires that I wanted and another bike shop to do a tune-up, replace the back rim, replace my brake pads, and get me up and rolling by Monday morning. Keep you fingers crossed!
.
.
Today was also my dad's last day as a support driver. What would I have done without him? My brother Rob, who lives outside of Colorado Springs, decided to drive down to meet dad and I here in Santa Fe. After getting situated with the bike shops and cleaned up, we went to dinner at the Olive Garden. It was a great time catching up and visiting with my dad and my brother. Thanks again dad for taking the time to come and support me on this journey - Thanks Rob for a great short visit as well!
.
Two weeks from now, this mission will be complete, and I'll be spending time with Tracy, Taylor, Aubrey, Hannah, and Jack. I can't wait to see you guys!
.
"I CAN!"

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

We all know perfectly well why you were safe and well in Pennsylvania and Missouri, or while you were on your own. Lots of us are praying and pulling for you each and every day. Thank you Ron for putting a lot of us at ease this last week by being with Chip. Does it really seem like you have been at this for five weeks??? Wow! And only two to go.
You can!
Faye

Tracy said...

Hi Chip! You will probably read this on the 7th - your birthday!! Happy, happy birthday Schultzy. I can't believe how soon we will be together. It really seemed to draaaaag the first few weeks, but lately, time is flying! Can you believe we did this for 6 months 12 years ago? No e-mail or cell phones then though! We are a pretty darn good team. I love you. Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Chip, Happy Birthday Brother!!!
Have a great rest day and then hit it hard. You will be in Huntington Beach before you know it. YOU CAN!!!

Jody said...

New Jersey? That seems like soooo long ago! And now here you are approaching your second to last rest day! And speaking of that rest day, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Take a well deserved day of rest! Hope you get some free meals or something to make it great! See you soon!! (I love that I can say that!!)

Anonymous said...

Hey, Chip, Happy Birthday! We expect to see you soon and hope that the remainder of your trip will be trouble free! Warmest regards, Ann Hermanson(John Hermanson's mother)

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Rest well, sleep well, eat well and don't worry about what didn't happen, you're nearing the final stretch. YOU CAN, one mile at a time, one city at a time, one state at a time.

Remember.... this ain't no hill for a stepper! Keep on keeping on!

HOOWAAAAAH!!!!!

Anonymous said...

It was great to hear your voice and talk with you today Chip, especially on your birthday. I hope your having a restful day.

Carrie

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday my friend!! Brian and I are so very proud of you. We can't wait to get you home and see your pictures....and here all of the other great stories that you will have for us. Maybe..Nikki and I can kidnap you and Tracy again....take you for a ride on the "waverunners" and laugh until we do the "poopy dance" again!!! What do you think? Do we have a date? We are saving desert for you for when you get home.

Love Lisa

Anonymous said...

Hey Chip!!! Happy birthday!!! I know this is my first post but it has been really fun following along. i can't believe that in just over a week you will be done and back in California!!! Here is some exciting news for you, Tyler and I are, as of today, Officially engaged!!! Can't wait to see you and tell you in person. I love ya!!!

Kelley

Columbia Village Gropps said...

CHIP-MAN,
Happy Birthday Brother!

I sat here watching the Broncos completely anhilate the New Mexico State Aggies 58-0 and thought - hey Chipster is in New Mexico right now! Don't let any of them know your son is a Bronco Fan!

We finally updated our blog tonight - so take a look! Brayden is our little "scooter". He scoots across the floor with his casted right leg high in the air. Quite a sight to see. He moves pretty fast too. You should have seen him trying to get some candy off the fireplace mantel today! He must have the same attitude as you... "I CAN".

Oh and Nikki says I have to give some words of encouragement now to finish off this post. I will quote a line similar to your theme line from the Waterboy "You can do it" (in a mexican accent of course).

See you soon.

TOL-MAN.

Anonymous said...

HEE HEE

Those signs are all over NM where you are is the maximum security prison then the minimum is south of Albuquerque. But you'll be safe i know it. Happy B-day.

You can

Hippy Doug