Tuesday, October 9, 2007

DAY 37 - DESTINATION - GRANTS, NM


Miles: 73.3 - Total Miles: 2,398 - Total Ascent: 70,325 ft.
We did it! Dan and I set our alarm for 6:30am so we could catch a glimpse of the balloon spectacular. And might I say, it was pretty spectacular! Three-hundred hot air balloons lifted off between 7 and 8:00am. But after we watched (and photoed, and videoed) the initial wave, it was time to get to work and hit the road.
.
.
The ride started with quite a climb on surface streets, which made for a great view (looking back to the east) of Albuquerque. Once I was out of the city limits it was safe enough to ride on I-40. Then it was a straight shot...70 miles west to Grants.
.
After I realized that I had passed probably the one-and-only Dairy Queen out here in the desert, I had Dan go back and get us a couple of Blizzards - good call! Definitely some great benefits to having a support vehicle.
.
.
Not far from the end of today's ride, I came across a white car on the side of the road. Outside the car was a really cute family with four small children. I stopped to ask if they were o.k. or needed any help. They said that their cell phone was not working and asked if I had one they could borrow. After I handed their father my phone, the kids became VERY curious about my bike and trailer. They wanted to touch everything. They even asked if they could get in my trailer (I said no)! They weren't all that impressed that I had been riding from New York City, but they were enthralled with the copper flag pole (now lying down) strapped to my trailer. After they made arrangements for assistance, I asked if I could take their picture to add to the experiences of my journey. Very cute!
.
.
It is nice to have real scenery to look at during the ride. New Mexico is definitely not Kansas! Dan and I went to Walmart tonight for some hardware to reattach my flag pole to the trailer. Thank goodness for guys like Dan (and Fo'ou). Arizona is just around the corner!
.
"I CAN!"
.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chip:

You must have just finished your post. I'm glad you can ride on Route 40. Be careful. It is hard to believe I was with you for a week. It was quite an adventure. While with you, I got to witness your commitment to this cause and your determination to succeed. We had some good laughs and met some nice people. You made me tired just watching you. When the day’s ride was over, I’ll never understand how you still had enough energy to sit for hours on the computer to update your blog site and answer calls.

Tell Dan I said hello, and Dan, if you’re reading this, I want you to know how grateful I am for you to take the time to be there for Chip. You are a great friend to do this for him.

You're on the final stretch Chip; Keep it up.

Dad

Tracy said...

Hi Chip! When I wake up, I'll be able to say, "We are leaving for CA to see dad in exactly one week!!" I just cannot believe this. Wow, years of dreaming about this amazing accomplishment and it is so close to coming true. I'm so very happy for you! Just goes to show that with strength and determination and a lot of heart, all things are possible! Thank you! Love you very much.

Anonymous said...

Tracy:

While with Chip; it was obvious that his thoughts are always with you and the kids. He could have never gone as far as he has without your support. Hats off to you.

Dad Schultz

Topsy said...

My kids have loved checking in and seeing your photos each day. It seemed an impossible task, one that I had no doubt you would accomplish, but thrilling to see how close you now are to completing your insane and wonderful dream.

Jacob Irving said...

I already have reservations to climb up Mt. Whitney on October 20th and I reserved a spot for you. All of the guys would like you to go. It only seems fitting that once you carry "Old Glory" from sea to shining sea, that you take it up the highest point on the continental U.S. once again. What do you say? Are you in? I'm sure Tracy will be fine with it. j/k ha ha Keep it up soldier. You're doing great.

schultz kids said...

Hey Dadd-io! That picture of all the air balloons sure was neat!! I wish I was there with you!! That would be fun!! I wish you the best of luck on the rest of your journey to California!!! I can't wait!! ONE WEEK!!! Yay! Can you belive it!? I love you soooo much!

Your daughter, Aubrey

Anonymous said...

Hey Chipper, sorry to be off for so long but Oct seems to be a popular birthday month these days. That being said, a belated happy birthday to you and Tracy. I think you are officially the first of our group to hit 35! How does it feel! Anyway, the end is near and we can't wait to see you guys all soon. We continue to enjoy your daily events and will be in touch again soon! Keep on treking!!!
Love, the Lindquists