Saturday, August 25, 2007

MY AMERICAN FLAG

I depart for New York City one week from today. I have purchased my bike, the trailer, all of my equipment, and most of my gear. Now it's time to edit my packing list and make any final preparations.
Notice the American Flag in the photo above. I purchased that flag shortly after 9/11 and wanted to do something special with it. In the summer of 2002 I lead a group of men to the top of Half Dome in Yosemite National Park. While carrying my flag up the cables, perhaps the most dangerous part of the hike, the bottom eyelet tore and the flag, only attached by the top eyelet, was blowing like a wind sock. Instantly a complete stranger ran up to my location, pulled out his survival knife, cut off his own bootlace, and reattached the flag. I remember him telling me, "I served in the Navy and love the American Flag!"
One year later I had a desire to do something special with with my American Flag again. I was already registered to run the 2003 Rock'n Roll Marathon in San Diego, California. So I decided to carry my flag with me. On the day of the 26.2 mile race, many people questioned how often I would be "switching shoulders". In the Marine Corps there was only one way to carry the flag, on your left shoulder. And so it was, I carried the flag on my left shoulder the entire race. People responded with admiration and love, not for me, but for seeing the American Flag fly in such a unique manner.
In the early spring of 2004 I read a book titled How to Climb Mt. Whitney in One Day. After months of training, planning, and searching for seven competent hikers, we made our journey to the top of Mt. Whitney, the highest peak in the continental United States. Together we had all of the necessary equipment for this adventure, including my flag. But in the early morning hours of our assent, long before the sunrise, we lost or first hiker to altitude sickness. I just never thought it would be me. I can recall Bernie Perkins, my best friend who was with us that morning, saying, "I've been his wing-man for 19 years, so I'll take him down the mountain." Feeling violently ill, perhaps sicker than I've ever felt, Bernie and I went down the mountain with my flag. Not able to live with that failure, I made the necessary arrangements and made it to the summit of Mt. Whitney one month later with Bernie Perkins, Jim McDonald, and my American Flag.
I have very deep feelings of respect and pride for the American Flag. I have witnessed how it can inspire other people and understand that men and women are willing to make great sacrifices for it's preservation. This is why I will be taking my American Flag, still labeled with that Sailor's boot lace and bruised from the rocks of Mt. Whitney, with me on my journey from Sea to Shining Sea.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Chip...what an incredible citizen you are! I appreciate your efforts to actively pursue what so many of us take for granted (myself included at times): our responsibility to support those who fight and sacrifice for our freedoms. I am proud to know you, someone who has made your time here on earth worthwhile for so many. Thank you for not just caring, but doing something about this cause. I hope you see many personal rewards so you will continue your pursuits for Americans, past present, and future. God bless you, and YES, YOU CAN!!!

Jody said...

I really like this post. Good luck to you and old glory!

Anonymous said...

As I sit here reading your blog I feel moved to respond with words as powerful and profound as ALL of your endeavors but, instead, am at a total loss for the right words. Truly amazing, Chip! You are so very unique and have I told you lately how proud I am to have a brother like you? Can't wait to see you in Huntington Beach.
Godspeed,
Carrie

Anonymous said...

Chip,
This is your cousin Missy-although now its back to Melissa. I just sat down at my folks' computer and was totally astounded to see what you have been doing. You have a beautiful family and I'm so proud of you. You are one honorable man. I wish you a truckload of luck on your journey and plan to follow it closely-be careful! Love and prayers-Missy

Rachel and Jared said...

Hey Chip! It's Rachel (Jones) Kieren (Elliott's little sister)! I saw the link to this post on Holly and Elliott's blog and I am so impressed by what you are doing! This is a wonderful mission you're accomplishing. You are a fantastic example to everyone who lives in this wonderful country! Good luck and our prayers are with you! Bytheway, I can't believe how your kids have grown! Beautiful family!