Saturday, August 4, 2007

MY EVENING WITH MR. HOYT

In the picture above, I am standing with the incredible Mr. Dick Hoyt. Dick is a world renowned motivational speaker. Last week, my wife and I had the amazing opportunity to meet him at the Qwest Arena here in Boise. For those of you who are not aware, Dick is often referred to as "The World's Strongest Dad."
Forty-two years ago, the Hoyt's gave birth to a son, Rick, with cerebral palsy. As a quadriplegic and unable to talk, Rick communicated through a special computer that he uses with his forehead, that he wanted his father to push him and his wheelchair in a five mile race. Not being a runner, Dick accepted the challenge. Afterwards Rick communicated that during the race, while his father was pushing him, it felt like he was not handicapped.
For the past 27 years, this inspiring duo has competed in over 945 athletic events across the world. Together, Team Hoyt has competed in 25 Boston Marathons as well as eight Iron Man triathlons (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run)! Particularly inspiring to me, Dick also pedaled the two of them across the country on a coast-to-coast bike ride.
Team Hoyt travels the globe educating and promoting the Team Hoyt motto, "Yes You Can!" As a tribute to Dick Hoyt and his remarkable physical accomplishments, I am having "I Can!" sewn on the back of my jersey for the O.M.E.H Bike Tour.
Please take 4 minutes and 13 seconds to watch their touching video, I CAN ONLY IMAGINE.

2 comments:

Jody said...

Wow! I saw this man on Oprah, which of course makes him an instant celebrity. Very cool!

Anonymous said...

I have seen the video at my church and there wasn't a dry eye in the place. Truly inspirational and an amazing story of a father's love for his son. My best to you on your journey. Be safe....See you in O.C.!